hear the news
The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a plea requesting the court to direct the Union of India to be informed about the extent of damage to the territory along the border with China. The case was heard by Chief Justice U.U. Lalit and Justice Ravindra Bhat.
Clash in Galwan Valley cited
Initially, the counsel for the petitioner said that there had been clashes in the Galwan Valley on the intervening night of June 14 and 15, 2020 and the Indian official stand after the conflict was that India did not lose any territory. The petitioner said that this official stand is misleading the citizens of India.
Chief Justice UU Lalit immediately noted that the matter pertained to state policy and there was nothing for the court to interfere in. He said that this is a matter of the state. There can be issues like this. There may be clashes along the border of the region. Whether there is damage to the area, whether there has been encroachment from the other side or whether we have proceeded or not, it is not a matter of court.
The counsel appearing for the petitioner had requested the Union of India to give correct information about the extent of loss of territory and argued that the official stand of the Union of India is that we have not lost any territory. This not only misleads the people of India but it also keeps the public in the dark while the enemy is building security along the border. It poses a threat to the future generations of India. However, the petition was dismissed.