hear the news
In the women’s singles final at the US Open 2022, Inga Swiatake defeated Tunisia’s Ons Jebuar to win the title. She became the champion of US Open for the first time. This is the third Grand Slam of his career. Prior to this, he has won the French Open title twice. They won the final match by a margin of 6-2,7-6.
Iga had a great start in the final match and won the first set with a bang with a 6-2 margin. Ons did not have a chance to counterattack. In the second set, Ons played brilliantly and gave a tough fight to Swiatake. However, in the end Sviatec won the set by a margin of 7-6. He won the last point with a margin of 7/5 and also won the US Open title. Notably, Sviatake was the only player in the men’s and women’s singles to reach the finals and win a Grand Slam in the past.
Sviatec equals Angelik
Sviatec has won 38 matches and seven tournaments this year. Sviatake is the second player, after Angelaki Kerber, to win two Grand Slam trophies in the same season.
Sviatec surpasses Ons
Ons Jebuar and Inga Sviatake have been face-to-face five times so far. Of these, three times Sviatec and twice Ons have won. Inga defeated Jebuar in Washington DC in 2019. After this, Jebuar defeated in the pre-quarterfinals of Wimbledon in 2021 and the Cincinnati Open. Sviatec then defeated Ons again this year in the final of the US Open in Rome.
Inga Sviatake’s Journey at the US Open
- She defeated Jasmine Paolini 6-3, 6-0 in the first round.
- She defeated Sloane Stephens 6-3, 6-2 in the second round.
- She defeated Lauren Davis 6-3, 6-4 in the third round.
- She defeated Julie Niemeyer 2-6, 6-4, 6-0 in the fourth round.
- She defeated Jessica Pegula 6-3, 7-6 in the last-8.
- In the semi-finals, she defeated Aryna Sabalenka 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.
- In the final, he defeated Ons Jebuar 6-2, 7-6.